These chocolate spider cupcakes are the perfect Halloween sweet treat. Spooky to the eyes but yummy to tummy!
For chocolate cupcakes:
- 100g butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¼cup cocoa
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- ½ cup of milk
For the buttercream icing:
- 3½ cups icing sugar
- 150g butter, room temperature
- 2 tbs of milk
- 2 – 3 crushed Oreo biscuits (cream removed)
- Oreo biscuits
- Candy eyes
- Chocolate Waffle sticks
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and bicarb soda into the butter mixture. Add the milk and beat until combined.
- Spoon into the cupcake cases and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes cool, make a glue using a teaspoon of icing sugar and a drop or two of water, to stick the eyes onto the tops of the Oreo biscuits, set aside to dry.
- Cut the chocolate waffle sticks into half size
To make the buttercream icing,
- Sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and milk and beat until light in colour and fluffy. Add an extra teaspoon of milk if the icing is too stiff. Stir in the crushed Oreo biscuits.
- Spread or pipe icing onto each cupcake and gently poke four/ eight chocolate waffles into the icing. Top the icing (and legs) with the Oreo biscuit.