The nursery is decorated, the baby names are short-listed and the teeny-tiny newborn clothes are washed and waiting. All that’s left now is to make sure your hospital bag is ready for the dash to the maternity wing. But what to take?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you don’t want to leave home without.
The essentials you’ll need
- The Doctor File with all your documents and your medicine kit
- Blanket in case you like to use your own while at hospital
- 2 Pillow for either sides – everyone has a set which they absolutely adore
- Bed sheets and Pillow Covers – while the hospital provides perfectly washed ones, I prefered to carry couple of white sheets from home. (they always come handy!)
- 2 Night gowns for post delivery care – you won’t like pajamas for sure
- Mom toiletry kit – you don’t want to be missing your favourite lotion while you are at hospital
- 4 front open button Night suits – they are very convenient when you start feeding
- Newmom Disposable Maternity Pads (Maxi). You will experience bleeding immediately after child birth and continues for more than 10 days. Get the Maxipad (For the first 3 days after delivery) and Medipad (From the 4th day onwards). Get them here
- Cosy Slippers & Socks – your feet can get cold during labour
- Feeding Pillow. I used the Boppy Bare Naked Pillow, Shop online here
- Mothercare Disposable Maternity Briefs – Keep about 10 sets handy
- Shawls for feeding time
- Palmers Nipple Butter Cream
- Palmers Oil for post massage
- Lip balm. Your lips can dry out quickly on a warm labour ward.
- A little make-up pouch for that little touch-up you need before you leave
- Comfy going-home clothes
- Nursing bras. Bring two or three. Read more about nursing bras here
what to pack for your newborn
- 7 – 8 sleepsuits,onesies and vests. Shop online here
- Warm Inners and Caps
- Baby blanket. Although hospitals are very warm, your baby may need a blanket if it’s chilly outside when you leave.
- Diapers and Diaper Rash Cream. Your newborn will go through as many as 12 in a day.
- Baby Swaddles. Shop online here
- Some going-home clothes. An all-in-one outfit, cardigan, hat, socks and booties.
- Baby Bottles & Bottle Cleaners. The Avent bottles and bottle cleaner has been a life saver.
- Formula Milk. Find out more about Formula Milk and brands mom’s love here
- Baby Toiletries – Sebamed and Mustela products is what I use.
- 3 Baby Towels
- 2 Cot sheets for the hospital carrier
- Chicco Nipple Shield and Nipple Puller. Shop online here
- Avent Breast Pumps – a situation may arise where your baby doesn’t latch on and you will need to express. Keep the pumps handy.
While this is just the beginning, there are plenty for questions, to -dos and preparing you need to do before your little bundle of joy arrives. Find out all about baby essentials and preparing for your new born arrival here