10 IVF Truths No One Tells You About
×
Home / WELLNESS  / LIFESTYLE  / 10 IVF Truths No One Tells You About
IVF Process

10 IVF Truths No One Tells You About

IVF Process

 

Have a glimpse at any fertility forum and you’ll see the abbreviation 2WW, or the ‘two week wait’, by far the worst part of the whole IVF process. While IVF can provide the beacon of hope for people looking to be parents, there are a few things you might want to know before you start.

 

There are no guarantees with IVF

It feels strange even writing such an inherently negative sentence, but it’s the harsh truth. Medical Science states that there is about a 30% chance of what they delightfully call a ‘live birth’, which is considered very good odds in the IVF world. Just hearing the phrase ‘very good odds’ might make you feel better, until you pause and think about it – because a 30% chance of it working means there’s a 70% chance of it not working.

 

The two week wait is torture

Once you get on the IVF roller coaster, it starts to feel more like one of those kiddie trains they have at the mall that goes about 2 miles an hour and stops at every station. Time magically slows down, and your entire perspective on life flies out the window. This is torture. There is so much build-up before a cycle, then during the cycle you can satisfy yourself you are doing SOMETHING towards your goal. But when the embryo is put back in place, all that’s left to do is wait and torture yourself as you overthink every ache, pain, upset stomach, sore breasts or lack of any change. You tie yourself in mental knots and the world around you may keep going but you remain in limbo.

 

Say hello to all forms of effects – side,upwards,downwards…

Are you tired of sleeping through the night? Do you wish you could wake up every night with soaking pajamas?  Do you want headaches tinged with tinnitus, or hot flushes that make your face red and blotchy? Well, thanks to your downreg drugs, you can! Just a daily injection can bring on early menopause and make you feel 55 — years ahead of schedule! Side effects may occur. The side-effects during IVF are individual to each woman. Fatigue, increased appetite, loss of appetite, nausea, bloating, sore breasts, bleeding, headaches and depression are just some that are common.

 

If you are needle phobic – IVF will either cure you…. or break you.

Counting the downregs, stims, trigger shots, blood samples, and even the anesthetic for egg retrieval, We estimate you get stabbed about 70 times per cycle (on the long protocol). There might be a time where the bins are overflowing with needles and syringes, and you almost run out of belly space to inject onto. Also, never in your life will you feel more like a drug addict.

 

IVF is a process, not a quick fix

So now you’re pregnant? Congratulations! But the rollercoaster ride isn’t over just yet- because guess what? Remember how you took those downregs to shut down your cycle and bring you early menopause, and then you took stims, the hormones that made you produce lots of eggs ? And then you had the eggs removed from your ovaries then put back all fertilised ? In doing this, the doctors created an artificial cycle and played all sorts of trickery on your body. At the end of your IVF cycle, your body’s is going along, happily making eggs, then abruptly the hormones stop and suddenly all the eggs go missing, and just as suddenly, they come back and one or two happen to be replicating at an alarming rate. Your body is not quite sure what’s happening, while it’s flapping about trying to figure out what hormones to produce and how much,  your fragile little embryo needing to be nurtured by your uterus, and your uterus need progesterone to do this. So you take progesterone supplements,  until week 15 of pregnancy, when your body has created the placenta.

 

You Have Fewer Eggs Than You Think

You probably know you’re born with a set number of eggs—about 2 million—and those comprise all the chances you’ve got at procreating. But the drop-off in egg volume doesn’t just happen when you start using them (aka menstruating). Medical science states that we’re already down to about 300,000 by puberty. On top of that, we enjoy only 300 to 400 ovulated eggs in our lifetime, – The rest are essentially broken down by our ovaries.

 

Being pregnant doesn’t mean you’re going to have a baby

The cruel irony is many of the side-effects of IVF previously listed are the same as those you expect to have when pregnant. You will need to be extra careful and steps to the washroom will soon be measured.

 

Infertility is a symptom, not a diagnosis

Infertility is a symptom, just like having a cough is a symptom, and it could be due to a variety of different reasons.There are about six different reasons for why people can’t get pregnant and not all of those causes mean that IVF needs to be done – although today most of those simple things eventually go on to use IVF.

In any other area of medicine, you are presented with a problem, you do some tests to try and make a diagnosis and when you make a diagnosis then you introduce a treatment studies suggest should be done for that problem.What we now know today is IVF is the best way to treat unexplained infertility because it deals with all of those things that could be going on below the surface, even if we never know what they are.

 

Sex is off limits

The problem is, despite doing the procedure properly, you can still get an egg that leaks out around the follicle and around the needle and into your body.If you’re having sex at the same time, that could lead to one embryo and then the embryo that you’re going to put in at the IVF so that’s why doctors advice you to keep your legs crossed for a week or so leading up to the egg collection.

 

There will be plenty of advice from unwanted sources

When you’re on IVF, an inevitable plethora of absurd advice will rain down upon you with alarming regularity.People will judge you for trying ‘extreme measures’ like IVF. They will say that you will ‘get pregnant as soon as you stop trying so hard’ – this is complete and utter bullshit.  No one in their right mind would put themselves through IVF unless they had serious medical issues.

 

READ MORE | SHARE YOUR STORY | LIST YOUR BUSINESS | SHOP NOW
EXPLORE




YOUR COMMENTS