You better watch out, you better not cry. You better not pout, I’m telling you why: Santa Claus is coming to town!
Some know him as Kris Kringle, others know him as St. Nicholas, and of course his most popular identity is Santa Claus. While his red robe, reindeer, sliding down the chimney act and sleigh are things we all know of, there still is a lot we are yet to discover about December’s favourite man – Santa Claus!
What is Santa’s favorite Christmas movie? How old is he really? We’ve come up with the answers to these and other questions! Learn all about Santa, while you prepare Christmas cookies or are throwing a holiday party to get yourself into the Christmas spirit this holiday season!
- The original Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas was Bishop of Myra in Anatolia (modern day Turkey), around 270 AD and had a reputation for secretly giving gifts to those in need!
- Santa’s suit was originally green before the colour red was used in paintings and famously used in coca-cola’s advertisements!
- Santa claus has nine reindeer in total including: rudolph, dasher, dancer, prancer, vixen, comet, cupid, donner and blitzen! Rudolph, the most famous of santa’s reindeer is the latest recruit, having joined the team in 1939.
- Who knew Santa Claus was such a baller? He is the only person in the world to have their own zip code, H0H 0H0
- Before he set up shop in the North Pole, he worked out of Spain.
- Santa Claus was a bachelor until around 1849 when a spouse (Mrs Claus) was mentioned in a short story, ‘A Christmas Legend’ by James Rees.
- Santa Is Actually A Canadian Citizen. In 2008 the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism of Canada, Jason Kenney, made the declaration that Santa Claus was a citizen of that country.
- Santa’s favorite cookie depends on what country he is visiting! While he enjoys all of the different cookies in the world, he can’t say no to Mrs. Claus’ fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.
- Mrs. Claus makes Santa a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to snack on while he’s flying around the world and a thermos filled with hot chocolate. He saves the eggnog for when he gets home, because he can’t have eggnog while driving!
- “Jingle Bells” was originally supposed to be a Thanksgiving song.
Now you know. Or at least have a bunch of random facts to rattle off to your family when you run out of things to talk about. Merry (almost) Christmas!